Is it an example of bottom-up approach?

I was told that ‘bottom-up’ is one of the best approaches for development. There were examples of such approaches but I could not experience myself of such development earlier. However, when I see the current scenario of Nepal, I am confused whether it is an example of bottom-up approach or something else.

There was a situation, almost 2o years back, Nepalese villages were without piped drinking water supply, electricity and road network. At present, most of the villages (at least my village) have piped drinking water supply, electricity (micro-hydro power), and road network (gravel motor road). Comparing to the city, Kathmandu, capital city of Nepal, where I am living today and my village, my village has progressed with such developmental works but the city is facing load shedding for 16 hours, drinking water supply has been problem for almost 10 years. Water drops for one hour every alternative day. Road is there but traffic jam is a routine action. I can reach few kilometers distance on foot than using vehicle. With these comparisons, I am confused whether the city or village is progressing or deteriorating. Is it due to evolutionary process or due to government policies to balance the developmental activities of village and city?

Comments

Popular Posts