Domestic airport of Kathmandu, Nepal

My mother was taking domestic flight with Yeti Airlines, one of the Nepalese airlines. She returned home from airport after five hours the scheduled flight time due to weather condition, thick cloud (passenger and their relatives were not informed whether it was in destination airport or in Kathmandu airport). Simply we were asked to contact the airlines office for the next flight schedule. The flight is scheduled to departure after two days. The flight time was 10:10 so we reached domestic airport at around 9:20. The airport main gate entrance security asked for air ticket to pass through but didn’t check anything (luggage or other things). I was surprised to see the ‘security check’. I have seen people returning from the gate due to security personnel. I was allowed to go through to accompany my mother till the domestic terminal. I could see whole Nepal at the domestic terminal, old, dirty, un-repaired, loopholes of security and crowded. It was like a bus terminal and all flights were delayed by four five hours.

There was no announcement or display of the flight so I went to the airlines counter for inquiry. Instead of apology and politeness, he asked me to wait for the counter to start check in. When the check in starts? The reply was to wait. We waited and waited. It was cold inside and there were limited seats so we went out of the terminal. Around 13:00, airline put a boarding sign. We check in and enter the boarding hall. I had a visitor pass so I could go up to that area. The boarding hall was ‘no smoking’ and ‘no camera’ zone but no one was bothered of the notice. A small tea/coffee shop was selling cigarette openly (law forbids to sell alcohol and cigarette without license or from the same shop selling other foodstuffs) at no smoking zone. Finally, after two hours of wait at boarding hall, airline call for departure and my mother walked to the plane. I returned home murmuring ‘when the situation will change or develop?’

Comments

Popular Posts