No consumer rights in Nepal

One of the major causes of traffic jams and accidents on the road of Kathmandu is motorbikes. Motorbike riders drive so rough that make fear to pedestrian and other drivers. However, due to insufficient or unmanaged public transport in the city, bikes are increasing in number every day. Bikes are considered as means of sport and fashionable drive in developed countries but they are just an alternative and compulsion in our cities. Because of the same, knowing that they are not safe means of transport, I decided to buy a bike. I bought a bike which looks attractive, give more mileage and had safety means. It was Yamaha Gladiator SS with 125cc. I paid the price and took the bike home. The bike had enough petrol to run for some kilometers. Before reaching home, on the way, there was a petrol pump, I filled the tank. The next day morning, I tried to start the bike but it didn't. After trying for many times, self-starter bottom could not start the bike. Then I started with kick system. No way. I went to nearest bike repairing center. I came to know that my engine was already seized and it has to be repaired by authorized service center as it was within warranty period. I called the dealer from where I bought the bike. They flatly disagree that it was not due to engine failure. They claim that it was due to bad petrol in the market. I checked the news in media. There were many cases of such problem but Nepal Oil Corporation was blaming dealers stating that the bikes were with defect. While dealers were asking government to provide good petrol and it was not due to engine failure as the problem was seen in different bike models of different manufacturing companies.

Within these situations, without my mistakes, I was the victim. I asked for refund or exchange of my bike to new one but the seller denied. I recall the problem of my camera which I bought in Norway and got a new camera noticing a problem even after six months. But I am not getting it even after a day. What is this? Don't we have consumer rights in Nepal? I just request you to think and rethink while buying goods in Nepal as you might not get refund, service or benefits provided by the manufacturing company. I hope it will not happen to you like me.

Comments

Popular Posts