Hospital beds are expensive than hotel beds

Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH), generally known as 'Teaching Hospital', is one of the government hospital in Nepal. The charge for general checkup, lab analysis, admission to hospital and other investigation costs are subsidized due to governmental funds. The hospital also runs 'Extended Hospital Service (EHS), which is costly as the charge is similar as in private clinic or private hospitals. The general check up and operation cost compare to private hospital is low but all costs are not subsidized. While comparing to lab tests, the cost is similar to some of the private labs. Many doctors recommend to have lab analysis in private labs especially if you visit doctor in EHS. Most of the lab equipments might be not working or operators are in leave or there are many waiting for their turn which may take even months to get their turn so patients are forced to visit private labs or centers.

Last week, I have to visit a doctor who only checks in TUTH either in general or EHS. The doctor recommend to get admitted for detail investigation. There were no beds to get admission. After waiting and searching for some hours, I got a bed but 'cabin' bed. The cost for it was about $14 per day but a room with attached toilet and single bed. The common bed in general rooms is about $1 per day. I had no options so I got admitted in spite of high cost. It was very surprising and came very expensive later when I came to know that all the other costs are also charged higher for the bed I have taken. The lab and other diagnosis costs are more than 33% higher for the cabin bed than general beds. There might be a policy to charge high for 'haves' and compensate the charge for 'have nots' but cabin bed is not always taken by 'haves' one. In my case too, I was forced to take cabin bed due to compulsion. Now, how can a hospital decide to charge me under 'haves'  category? Another very important issue is the hospital authority neither told me about this extra charge nor inform others through any means. I have not known this charge before. With the more charge for bed per day and other analysis costs, the hospital bed cost me more than a luxurious hotel bed in Nepal at the end. 

Comments

Popular Posts