Converting electric powered speaker to USB functional

I was looking for external speaker for my desktop computer to listen music while on work. I looked in office store if there are any unused ones. I found a pair of speakers without use. I connected to the computer but did not hear sound. When I checked the small lamp, it was not lighting. I checked the power and it was due to power problem. After opening the speaker, I saw broken AC converter. I recalled my secondary school knowledge: the AC converter converts the normal incoming electricity to DC. I knew the normal desk top computer connected speakers use around 9-12 volt and usually USB work on same range. Hence, I removed the electricity connecting wire and AC converter from the speaker. Now there are two wires remained to provide DC volt to the speaker. I tried connecting those two with the USB cable. Wow! The speaker light turned on. I checked the speaker sound with volume icon of taskbar. It worked with music and other sounds. I looked for old USB cable and found a broken mouse. I cut the cable and connected blue cable of USB to one DC cable of speaker and Brown cable of USB to other cable of speaker. I taped the connecting and put inside the box and screwed the cover of speaker. Now the speaker is totally converted to USB functional. I can use this speaker to any USB hub and enjoy the music. If you have any broken speaker and USB cable, you can reuse it like I did. Please remember to remove the AC converter and its wire before proceeding for USB connection. Try this only if you have basic knowledge of AC, DC and electric connection.

Comments

Hamender Singh Rathore said…
I knew there will be at-least someone thinking the same thing.
Just now I converted my 220Volt input powered Zebronics ZEB-S320 speakers to USB powered.
Just remove the AC to DC circuit and connect correct USB wires to the after conversion power wires. They'll be thin wires with the color coding black and red.Awesome Post general Engineering.
Thanks to you I got confidence to do it.

Popular Posts